Toronto Bound Jon Delarosa
Answers Your Training Problems
x17jond-arms-toronto_jpg_pagespeed_ic_4yDdc_89O3.jpg

Jon DeLaRosa will enter this weekend’s (May 27-28) Toronto Pro. Here he addresses training problems.

Q: What is your rep range pre-contest then, and have you tried the opposite, i.e. less reps off-season/more reps pre-contest? The reason I ask is because it doesn't seem like the norm, but obviously it's working for you. Thanks and congrats again!
A: Hey buddy, you're right. When I'm in full-blown off-season I like to keep my rep range between 8-10. Shortly after I start my prep, I will bring my rep range back to 8-12. Towards the end I will bring it back to 12-15. I like to do it this way because it keeps everything guessing and keeps me GROWING!

Q: Hey John, I just wanted to get advice regarding quad sweep. What are your suggestions for improving that?
A: I love hitting the hack squat and getting my feet a little closer than shoulder width. Be sure you don't let your knees bow out at all, and go as deep as you can unless it bothers your knees. Try it and let me know what you think.

Q: I'm 19 years old right now and I work close to 40 hours a week. The last three days starting Sunday, I have worked over 10 hours day each day and if it continues for Friday, and Saturday I will hit 50 hours or close by the end. I look up to you man since you're one of the bodybuilders who when you were an amateur worked a full-time job and everything. My question is, how did you keep yourself going at times when you know you wanted to work out, but you're spent from work? Also, got any tips on food packaging? I have the Smartshake and fit as many possible scoops of protein as I can in the compartments. There are only so many times you can possibly eat during a 10-hour shift or whatever.
A: First off, I would say that I'm happy to hear that your priorities are in order. Being a bodybuilder is a very expensive hobby that most people do not make money from, so keeping a job and staying in touch with reality is very important. As a bodybuilder who did work a full-time job, I kept motivated by staying focused on what truly made me happy. I love the gym and working out. It is my time for me to relieve stress, break personal records, and push myself to be the best I can be, for me and no one else. I like to think about my competition and how they are working just as hard if not harder, which pushes me to never miss a workout or meal. As for my meals, I make sure I have food prepared to go with me wherever I need to go, be it work, grocery shopping, running errands, etc. It is very important to have your meals ready to go so you can get the right foods in while you're out of the house. If you don't have 10 minutes to eat, I usually carry a shaker bottle of protein and water in my bag for emergencies. When I'm ready to eat, I shake it up and it's down the hatch! Hope this helps.

Q: I watched you come up the ranks and noticed how much you improve each year!
How tall are you? How did you manage to get all your meals and enough water in while working as an elevator repairman?

A: I'm 5'7" and I don't want to sound like a complete whack job when I say this, but your mind is your most powerful tool. I would drink my water and get my meals in no matter what else was going on at work because I had a goal I had to reach. Nothing in this world would have stopped me from getting there! Really, if you want anything bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to get it.

Q: Hey Jon what kind of a quad and hamstring routine would you recommend to an 18-year- old trying to bring up his legs, in terms of exercises, sets, and reps? What do you think would be a good base to start with? I know you train on instinct but was looking for a solid base as a beginner. Last question, how much can you squat?
A: Hey buddy, I love to train in a rep range of 10-15 for quads and hamstrings. I feel that there is so much muscle in your legs that there is no way that you would be able to maximize size with anything less. Again, I'm just going on what has worked for me, but most bodybuilders have found that their legs respond better to slightly higher rep ranges than the upper body. I also like to do quads and hammies together on the same day. I train legs once a week. I really never wanted to see how much my max was on my squat in fear of hurting myself, but I'd imagine it's up there. I once squatted 7 plates for 3 reps ass to bucket and it's on YouTube!